Wednesday, October 14, 2009

How to correct a painting - large acrylic impressionist painting on canvas

Too Many Cool Colors
&
Too many straight lines
-
This painting had the opposite problem as the last painting. This painting has too many cool colors.
The changes that I made weren't nearly as extensive.
-
-
Before
-
This whole painting is almost all cool colors. Design wise there are a lot of straight lines that need to be broken up. Some straight lines are OK, but this painting has gone a little overboard. The land, the shoreline and the water itself, all form a straight line.
-
-
After
-
large acrylic impressionist painting on canvas
18x36
-
-

What I Did!
-
To break up the line that the grassy field formed, I added the trees on the horizon.
-
I also added the warm yellow field. This warm are against all the cool colors really makes the painting pop. When I painted the yellow field, I brought it down to the waters edge, again breaking up the straight line that the green field formed.
-
To break up the line that the shoreline made, I added some more dark bushes and reflected them down into the water.
-
-
The bushes on the horizon and and on the shoreline, also serve as a visual stop, to keep your eye from going off the painting.
-
-
I hope this correction series is helpful. It is often hard to correct your own paintings, as you have locked yourself into looking at the painting in a set way, and have a hard time deviating from it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Comment! I welcome comments, and suggestions for tutorials. Ask me a question? Maybe I'll use it.